Jeffrey N. Gibbs
Jeffrey N. Gibbs joined Hyman, Phelps & McNamara in 1990. Over the course of his career, he has developed an extensive knowledge of FDA law, from product approvals to advertising and promotion, and enforcement actions. In recent years, Mr. Gibbs has focused primarily on advising medical device and IVD companies, as well as pharmacies.
Based on his extensive experience working with the industry on FDA issues, and previously for FDA, he provides efficient and insightful guidance. He has worked with companies of all sizes, from global manufacturers to one-person start-ups.
Mr. Gibbs has written and lectured extensively on a variety of FDA topics, particularly the regulation of medical devices, IVDs, and enforcement matters. He was a member of the Editorial Advisory Board for the Food and Drug Law Journal from 1998 to 2004, serving as chair from 2003 to 2004. He was also a member of George Mason University's Human Subjects Research Board from 2003 to 2011. He currently serves as vice chairman for the Food and Drug Law Institute, and serves on the LifeBridge Innovation Council, Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, MD. He has received numerous recognition awards, including, “Top FDA Lawyers,” Best Lawyers Supplement, The Washington Post (2016); Washington D.C. Super Lawyers (2016); “The Best Lawyers in America” (22st Edition-2016); Washington D.C. Super Lawyers (2015); LMG Life Science’s Star (4th Edition-2015); “Top FDA Lawyers,” Best Lawyers Supplement, The Washington Post (2015); “Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences (2015); and “The Best Lawyers in America” (21st Edition-2015).
Mr. Gibbs was Associate General Counsel for Enforcement at FDA, where he received an Award of Merit. He also was appointed Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, and, earlier in his career, clerked for a U.S. District Court Judge in New Jersey.
• Helps clients develop regulatory strategies, including investigational device exemptions, 510(k) clearance, and PMA approvals.
• Advises companies on compliance with post-market regulations, including adverse event reporting, labeling and advertising, Part 806 reporting, QSR, and product modifications.
• Provides guidance on IDEs, clinical studies, and informed consent.
• Counsels clients on enforcement actions, including Form 483s, warning letters, product recalls, and injunctions.
• Advises companies on FDA regulation of software and mobile apps.
• Counsels medical device companies on compliance with labeling, advertising, and promotion regulations.
In Vitro Diagnostic Devices
• Helps clients develop regulatory strategies for clearance and approval, as well as marketing claims.
• Assists with the pre-submission process.
• Provides guidance on Laboratory Developed Tests (LDTs).
• Provides advice on requirements for RUO assays and instruments.
• Assists with post-market compliance.
• Advises companies on product jurisdiction strategies.
Awards & Recognition
• FDA Medical Device Attorney of the Year, LMG Life Sciences, 2014
• Best Lawyers in America, FDA Law, 2014
• Chambers and Partners, Nationwide: Life Sciences, Band 3, 2014
• Chambers and Partners, Washington, D.C.: Healthcare, Band 2, 2014
• Top FDA Lawyer, Best Lawyers Supplement, 2014
• DC Super Lawyer, Food & Drug, 2013-2016
• Washingtonian Top Lawyer - Food and Drug, 2014
• Life Science Star, LMG Life Sciences, 2014
• FDLI Distinguished Service and Leadership Award, 2013
• Chambers and Partners, "Leaders in their Fields," Healthcare: Pharmaceutical/Medical Products Regulatory, 2013
• Chambers and Partners, Washington, D.C., Band 3, 2012
• The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (Life Sciences), 2014 - 2016
Articles / Publications
see more articles
FDA and Product Jurisdiction: Time for Reforms,
February 1, 2016
Thomas Reuters Commercialisation of Healthcare,
October 1, 2015
Outcome of LDT Regulation Controversy Defies Forecasting,
July 21, 2015
510(k) Statistical Patterns,
December 2, 2014
GEN LDT Article-New LDT Guidance Documents Face Scrutiny,
November 7, 2014
see more speaking engagements
ACI’s FDA Boot Camp Device Conference , July 20-22, 2016
7/21 Co-Speaker: “Pathways to Approval"
FDLI Annual Conference, May 5-6, 2016
Jeff Gibbs will be speaking on May 5 for the breakout session at the 2016 FDLI Annual Conference.
FDA Workshop: Streamlining Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) for Hearing Aids, April 21, 2016
Hot Topics in Medical Device Law, March 31, 2016
The Regulation of Laboratory-Developed Tests
IVD Regulatory adn Strategic Forum, December 8-9, 2015
Wolrd cafe: Taking a closer look at IVD markets globally
see more blog entries
510(k) Clearance “Corrected” 19 Years after Original Clearance,
April 1, 2016
Premarket Sterility Guidance for Devices is the Latest in a Flurry (Blizzard Pun Intended) of Device Guidance Activity for FDA,
January 31, 2016
FDA Plans to Issue Final LDT Framework in 2016; Subcommittee Members, CMS and FDA Officials Critique Proposed Legislative Approach that Would Give CMS,
December 20, 2015
Back from Break: FDA Issues Letter to Pathway Genomics for Cancer Screening LDT; Proposed Legislative Alternatives to FDA Framework Continue to Emerge,
September 29, 2015
Combination Products Reform Bill Is A Good Start, But Its Provisions Need Strengthening,
August 6, 2015