Kurt R. Karst
Kurt R. Karst provides regulatory counsel to pharmaceutical manufacturers on Hatch-Waxman patent and exclusivity, drug development, pediatric testing, and orphan drugs. He helps clients develop strategies for product lifecycle management, obtaining approval, managing post-marketing issues, and defining periods of exclusivity. As the co-founder and primary author of Hyman, Phelps & McNamara's FDA Law Blog, Mr. Karst often leads the response to new rules and regulations, sharing his interpretation with the broader legal community.
Mr. Karst's knowledge of FDA precedents and timely analysis of developments helps clarify and shape the industry's understanding of Hatch-Waxman, in particular. He is a prolific writer, contributing to the blog and publishing articles in major legal journals. Mr. Karst has co-authored and contributed to several text books, including Generic and Innovator Drugs: A Guide to FDA Approval Requirements; Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology, and Chemical Inventions; Fundamentals of US Regulatory Affairs; and FDLI's Drug and Biologic Approvals: The Complete Guide for Small Businesses-FDA Financial Assistance and Incentives.
Mr. Karst clerked for Hyman Phelps & McNamara while attending law school and served as articles editor for the American University Law Review. Before joining the firm, Mr. Karst lobbied for F. Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. In 1995, he was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship for post-graduate studies in Germany.
Prescription Drugs and Biologics
• Counsels clients on Hatch-Waxman patent and exclusivity matters.
• Develops strategies around exclusivity status and Orange Book Patent Listings.
• Obtains approvals for INDs, NDAs, and ANDAs.
• Helps clients obtain orphan drug designations as part of a broader product strategy.
• Advises clients on PDUFA and GAIN.
• Provides counsel on REMS.
OTC Drugs and Cosmetics
• Helps clients market OTC drugs.
• Advises clients on marketing and unapproved drug enforcement issues.
Awards & Recognition
• Who's Who Legal Directory, Life Sciences, Regulatory Section, 2015
• Who's Who Legal Directory, Life Sciences, Patent Litigation Section, 2015-2016
Articles / Publications
see more articles
• Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology and Chemical Inventions: World Protection and Exploitation,
• Generic and Innovator Drugs: A Guide to FDA Approval Requirements, Eighth Edition,
• FDA Amendments Act - HPM Issues Detailed Summary and Analysis,
• The Drug User Fee Catch-22,
• FDA Announces Proposed Regulations to Overhaul and Expand the Availability of Experimental Drugs and to Clarify Permissible Charges to Patients,
December 12, 2006
see more speaking engagements
• DIA 2017 Conference, Drug Pricing: Access Versus Innovation, June 18-22, 2017
• Paragraph IV Disputes, Q&A with the FDA on the Final MMA Rule: Understanding the Impact for Hatch-Waxman Practice, April 24-26, 2017
• Generics Pharmaceuticals and Biosimilars Symposium, April 5, 2017
• Hatch-Waxman and BPCIA Overview (Drugs, Biologics and Biosimilars, March 22-24, 2017
• Generic Drug Submissions and Patents & Exclusivity, January 31, 2017
see more blog entries
• FDA Defines the Scope of 3-Year Exclusivity for MORPHABOND After Wrestling With Different Approaches,
February 21, 2017
• Abuse-Deterrence and 3-Year Exclusivity: FDA Decisions Further Elucidate Scope and a “Route of Abuse” Approach to Exclusivity,
February 9, 2017
• The FTC Takes Action for Alleged Anticompetitive Citizen Petitioning Activities Surrounding Generic VANCOCIN,
February 7, 2017
• FDA’s 180-Day Exclusivity Q&A Guidance: Two Items of Note,
• The Lower Drug Costs Through Competition Act: Prioritized Review for Some ANDAs . . . and a Priority Review Voucher,
February 1, 2017