Alexander J. Varond
J.D., George Washington University Law School
B.S., Biomedical Engineering and Management Science (double major), University of California, San Diego
District of Columbia
Printer Friendly Page
Alexander J. Varond works on medical device and drug development, advertising and promotion, and enforcement issues. He counsels clients on development matters such as clinical trial design, REMS, orphan drug designation, formal dispute resolution, and patent and exclusivity issues. Mr. Varond also supports ongoing litigation efforts and performs due diligence for corporate transactions.
Mr. Varond's professional experience includes roles as project engineer, operations manager, and deputy management representative to FDA in the medical device industry. He also served as a law clerk at the U.S. International Trade Commission's Office of Unfair Import Investigations, and as an Intellectual Property Law Clerk at NuVasive, Inc.
In law school, Mr. Varond was the national runner-up, placing second in the nation, in the 2010-2011 National Giles S. Rich Intellectual Property Moot Court Competition. He was also named Best Overall Competitor and won the award for Best Brief for his efforts in The George Washington Law School's intellectual property moot court competition in 2011. Mr. Varond co-taught legal writing and research as a Dean's Fellow and Writing Fellow, and was a member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Board.
Prescription Drugs and Biologics
• Advises on matters involving product development, regulatory compliance, and submission strategies.
• Drafts and aids in requests for formal dispute resolution with FDA.
• Counsels clients on Hatch-Waxman patent and exclusivity matters.
• Assists companies with development of REMS, including shared REMS.
• Drafts citizen petitions requesting specific FDA actions.
• Counsels on compliance with cGMP and other manufacturing requirements.
• Provides guidance on compliance, including labeling, advertising and promotion, QSR, MDR, establishment registration, product listing, and device modifications.
• Drafts and reviews 510(k)s, PMAs, de novo petitions, and related submissions.
• Conducts due diligence for SEC filings and corporate transactions.
• Provides regulatory assistance related to investigations of criminal, civil and administrative charges, such as charges under the False Claims Act.
• Assists pharmaceutical and device companies with regulatory compliance, FDA inspections, and warning letters.
Articles / Publications
Bringing Your Pharmaceutical Drug to Market,
April 1, 2015
Thomson Reuters Book: Commercialisation of Health Care,
November 4, 2013
Trends in Personalized Medicine,
FDLI, Introduction to Medical Device Law: Registration and Listing, June 16, 2015
DIA 2015 Annual Meeting: The Breakthrough Therapy Designation: An Analysis of FDA’s Precedents to Determine Eligibility Criteria and Their Value, June 17, 2015
FDLI, Introduction to Orphan Drug Development and Exclusivity, July 16, 2014
see more blog entries
FDA Releases White Paper on the Speed of Drug Discovery and Development,
July 22, 2015
Pediatric Priority Review Vouchers: A Subtle Upgrade to Renewal Plans,
July 15, 2015
FDA Issues Final Rule on Permanent Discontinuance or Interruption in Manufacturing of Certain Drug or Biological Products,
July 10, 2015
The 21st Century Cures Act Evolves and Moves into Mark-Up,
May 14, 2015
FDA Revises Formal Meetings Guidance for PDUFA Products,
April 6, 2015